The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the International Yiddish Centre of WJC, the Judaica Center at Kyiv Mohyla Academy, the Yurii Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University,
with the assistance of the Chernivtsi City Hall and the Chernivtsi Museum of the History and Culture of Bukovinian Jews under the sponsorship of the World Jewish Congress, the Euro-Asian Jewish Congress and the Ukrainian-Jewish Encounter Fund (Canada) and VAAD Ukraine plan to hold in Chernivitsi, Ukraine the Yiddish Language Chernivtsi International Commemorative Conference 2018, held at the same venue as the historical Yiddish Language Conference 1908.
The program includes the following subjects:
- The development of Yiddish literature, theater, cinema and press (1908 – 2018).
- Trends in the Yiddish language development through the last century (functional styles, registers, vocabulary, phraseology, language norms, orthography).
- The changes of a status of Yiddish since 1908.
- Major centers of Yiddish research in the 20th century in the former USSR, Poland, USA, Israel. The role of YIVO.
- Yiddish in Czernowitz since 1908.Shul Farein. Major literary figures.
- Yiddish during and after the Holocaust
- Yiddish and Hebrew in Israel
- Hasidic Yiddish
- Yiddish teaching. Resources and Methodology.
- Computational linguistics of Yiddish.
- Yiddish as a living language in the 21st century. Yiddish and modern mass media.
- Major Yiddish research projects since 1908 (dictionaries, grammars, dialects, descriptions and atlases, literary researches, reference books, bibliographies).
Working languages at the conference: Yiddish, English, Ukrainian, Russian.
Tours around Chernivtsi and the surrounding former Hasidic shtetls as well as a rich cultural program are planned.
Kosher food can be provided.
The organizers will cover the expenses (accommodation, meals, concerts and tours), train and airfare (economy class) for participants whose papers are included in the program.
Please send your application with a title of a paper and a short abstract, but not later than May 20 , 2018 to : email@example.com (you will be informed without delay if your paper is included in the program) and a full text of a paper until June 29,2018 to the same email address.
Registration fee – 200$, discounts are possible in certain cases.
Conference proceedings will be published.